June: Month 3


Month 3 (mostly September) has been fun! June is such a joy! A few things from this month:

  • started to scoot/squirm
  • She’s very social – she always wants to be where everything’s going on. She’s got FOMO (fear of missing out), so she doesn’t do great with naps
  • Responds/mimics faces
  • Loves to “talk”
  • Covers her face with her hands
  • She tries to laugh (September 12)
  • Loves blankets!

Funny story: Emma went to kiss her feet while she was being held, but June kicked her in the face instead, then while laughing, Emma went to sit down and missed the bench and fell on the ground.

Also this month for Reeve and I:

  • Reeve got his capstone assignment for the year: he’s working with Sunroc to design prefabricated roofs
  • I bottled lots of peaches with my mom and Cheltsea – they’re so delicious!
  • We floated the Provo river twice – once with Brittany and Thomas, and another time with my family (to read about our little Utah Staycation, click here)
  • June, my mom, and I went to Manti for the day for my cousin’s wedding
  • We went to the Dinosaur Museum with the Hildreths for $2 Tuesday
  • Reeve and I did an escape room called “Eskaped” with Brittany, Devin, Jared, and Nick

June is just adorable and a poser. We’re a little obsessed with her!

Also shameless plug: that triangle quilt is from my Etsy shop Happy Adventurer

And here’s our 1 Second Everyday video of September, here – September 20 audio is the best!


Utah Staycation



With June being born and Reeve’s internship, we didn’t get around to a real vacation this summer.  Summer slipped by so fast and before we knew it, there were only 2 weeks left before school started! So, we decided the best we could do was a staycation.  Reeve told his work his last day was the Wednesday before school started, so we had Thursday, Friday, and the weekend.

We’re super blessed to have so many babysitters willing to help, so we were able to slip away and do a few fun things without June.

Thursday morning we went to the temple and ended up doing sealings because they needed more help there, and we were cutting it really close to the session.  Later that day, we went to Dick’s Sporting Goods.  There was a mountain bike Reeve’s been eyeing, and it was 60% off.  Still not a cheap purchase, but we had to consider it.  Then, after really thinking it through and putting the bike on hold, we picked it up the next morning.  It’s Reeve’s graduation present, 9 months early haha.

Friday we floated the Provo River with Brittany and Thomas.  It was Reeve’s first time and my second.  It was fun!  It was a little warmer than we expected, and there were more rapids, so that was fun!

Saturday we went mountain biking in Alpine (there are a ton of trails up there).  Reeve loves his new bike, and now I have his old one, and I’ve realized how bad my bike was haha.

We also wanted to go to Seven Peaks since Reeve hadn’t been yet this summer, but it was closed for private events.  So we just extended our summer a little bit, and after Reeve’s classes on Monday we went to Seven Peaks for the afternoon with Luke and my mom.  My mom watched June while we went on some rides.  It was perfect because everyone started schools, so the lines were all really short!

While we weren’t able to go on a typical vacation, I think we made the most of our circumstances and had a fun last hoorah to summer!


June: Month 2


June’s second month was a little more exciting.  We actually left the house a bit and did some fun things.

Here are some changes for her this month though:

  • Her hair is growing back on top
  • It’s kind of dark blonde/light brown with a hint of red
  • Blue gray eyes most days
  • She loves to “stand”
  • Strong neck
  • Gone completely to pumped bottles
  • Moved into crib in her own room
  • Smiles lots!

Here’s a video of July and August

Here are pictures of our month:

We went to a little beach park

The Olympics happened, Brazil won gold for soccer

Reeve blessed June into the LDS church.  He gave her a great blessing saying she would have the gift of discernment; have a great love for others, and they would be able to know the sincerity of her love; blessed with learning and reading between the lines; and patience.


Lyric and Cohen came to visit.  Cohen loves babies, so he loved June.  We mostly hung out, but one night we went to an outdoor concert in Park City.  It was a lot of fun!

And here are some other pictures from the month.  We also had a little stay-cation the few days before Reeve went back to school, so that is in another post.


June: Month 1


Our first month with June basically consisted of hanging out at home trying to figure out this parenting/baby thing.  Because the days were so uneventful, we have tons of pictures of June.  She’s just too cute to not take pictures of!

It’s crazy how much they change in such short time! June started out looking a ton like Reeve, but she looks more and more like me now.

Here are a few fun details of June’s first month:

  • The cul-de-sac: She lost her hair on top and looked like an old man
  • Her hair looks red in the sunlight
  • Her eyes are blue/gray so far
  • We call her “Flops” or “Floppsy,” I think it’s pretty obvious why
  • She can’t stay awake while eating, so she drinks bottles at night

We also have a photographer friend, Erin, and she took some great pictures of June when she was about 1 month. Here are some favorites from the month, and here’s a link to a video of July and August

She’s a pretty happy baby 🙂

She makes some really great faces

I love the details

Some pictures from Erin

Some more from throughout the month. She’s so pretty

I adore her ❤

Tea Party

We had a tea party.  We’ve never had one before, but my mom decided to have a granddaughter tea party.  I wish I had taken more pictures, because it was the event to remember!  I went over with June, and we got told that Paisley was coming very well dressed, so we kind of got carried away from there.  My mom ran up, threw on a fancy dress, did a fancy curled up-do, Makenna got in a dress, Luke got in a suit and tie, I had a sunhat, June was wearing a onesie that looks like a teacup, and the Hildreths showed up in fancy clothes, including a bowtie for Riley.

We had lace tablecloths, Makenna found a vintage tea party playlist, we had tiny china, and tiny food.  We ate with pinkies up and tried to talk in accents.  It was really more hilarious than anything.  I love my family!  I hope this happens again.

Living with in-laws with a newborn

June is the first grandchild and great-grandchild in Reeve’s family.  You can imagine the excitement from them.  We live in Reeve’s parents’ basement apartment right now while he’s finishing school.  Before June was born, I was so sure we were going to be so crowded and smothered when she was born because everyone would always want to see her and hold her, etc.  Well turns out those were just more paranoid thoughts, assuming the situation wouldn’t be ideal. Well I was totally wrong.  Living in their basement has been a total blessing!

The first week home with June was hard.  One night specifically Reeve and I were so exhausted, and June would not sleep.  After lots of trying and frustration, he called his mom, and she stayed up with June for like 3 hours while we got to sleep.  She did this a few nights the first week or two, and what a relief that was!  She also was so willing to watch June for an hour or so in the morning so I could get a little more sleep.  I feel a little bad because I know my mom wanted to help, but it was just kind of weird because we live with another family.  My mom did help out a lot though after a couple weeks when Reeve’s mom and all his sisters were at girls camp for the week.

So the first month with June, they were such a blessing in letting me get a little more sleep.  Then after that, like I touched on in my breastfeeding post, they were ideal in letting me have my much needed time without June every once in awhile.  They are so good to watch her while I run errands, work on my Etsy shop, or Reeve and I go see a movie or do something fun.  This has truly saved my life.  I feel a lot more comfortable asking them to watch June since we live with them than if we had to plan it out and drop her off.

Also, I was worried about being crowded…they are so good to not be overbearing.  They give us space, yet are always willing to help out when asked.  It’s pretty obvious that June is so loved here.  We all are really, and I’ve gained a greater love for my in-laws through this.

They also are so great to always take pictures, so June is going to have a very documented life!

Why your typical breastfeeding didn’t work for me

Before I had June, I hadn’t considered breastfeeding being a problem.  It’s what people do, it’s what they’ve always done.  I’m going to be a stay-at-home mom, I took a breastfeeding class eve, that’s what I’ll do.

Well, when June was born, we had a little struggle with feeding while in the hospital.  I had shallow nipples, she couldn’t latch well, when she did she wouldn’t stay on very long at all, it was just a struggle.  My nipples were cracked and bleeding and hurt so bad.  I dreaded when she needed to eat.  The lactation consultant helped us out, and she was eating better by the time we left the hospital.  When we were home, it was still kind of a struggle.  I had prescription ointment, but they still hurt so bad.  The hardest part though was that she would fall asleep whenever I would try to feed her, so she would wake up like 30 minutes later hungry.  We did all the tips they tell you to keep the baby awake, but none of it worked.  We even resorted to getting her face wet – she didn’t wake up.

I was getting so frustrated.  Breastfeeding is supposed to be this great bonding experience, breast is best, yada yada yada.  Because she could never stay awake to eat, I wasn’t getting any sleep.  I was so exhausted, and when she would be hungry, I just wanted to cry.  I was constantly having to leave everyone to go feed her, unsuccessfully.  I hated that I was the only one that could do this miserable job.  Reeve was a good support and would always be there for me, but there’s just not much he could do.

I started to pump bottles for night time so I wouldn’t have to go through everything to feed her constantly at night.  That seemed to work pretty well.  I feel so blessed that June takes a bottle.  And luckily, she stayed awake better while drinking a bottle – maybe because it was less work? I don’t know, but I was so relieved.

Once she was eating better at night, I didn’t mind feeding her during the day so much, but it still was a struggle, and I felt like I wasn’t able to do anything with my day.  My days were spent feeding her, changing diapers, and trying to get any rest possible.  That didn’t work too well for my personality.  I felt like my days were such a waste – sure I was raising a child, but absolutely nothing else was getting done.

My other thought that seriously made me want to cry every time I thought about it was I can’t do anything on my own anymore.  I literally can’t be away from her for more than a couple hours, and that’s even risky.  I couldn’t stand the thought of losing all independence, so I started to pump more during the day also.  That way if I ever needed to run some errands or take a nap or something, or spend an hour with just Reeve, I could leave her with Reeve’s mom, and she would have food.  That was a total game changer!  Don’t get me wrong – I love June to death, but I also need some time on my own to stay sane!

Pretty soon I was only giving her pumped bottles.  I worried about the bond, but I felt so much better personally.  I could tell that overall this was a better fit for us.  I still am the one to feed her the majority of the time, and we do have a strong bond.  She knows who I am, and I can tell she loves me, so that made it easier for me to not feel guilty about not actually breastfeeding.  The only struggle then was what others thought.  I would get self conscious of people seeing me feed June a bottle – not because I wasn’t actually breastfeeding, but because they probably assume it’s formula, and everyone says “breast is best.”  The thing is, I know it is breast milk, and if others judge without actually talking to me and knowing the truth, why should I care?  It’s hard to not worry about what others think, but when we let that go, it’s liberating really.


candid taken by Brittany – clearly we’re happy with bottles haha

Now that we’ve finally figured out what works best for both me and June, I am so much happier.  She is happier.  She’s healthy and growing great.  We’re really doing great now.

Labor and Delivery

Well, our little girl must’ve been real comfortable, because she was not coming out on her own!  Friday, June 24 was the day I was going to be induced if she didn’t come on her own.  Well, she didn’t.

So Friday morning we got ready and luckily got to go into the hospital at 9:45am (I’ve heard stories of people supposed to get induced but the hospital wouldn’t let them come in until like 5pm). It was so weird leaving the house knowing that we would come back as parents.

But we got all checked in, they gave me the pitocin at 11am and a little later my doctor came in and broke my water.  Reeve and I pretty much just hung out and watched TV for awhile, played some cards. We watched a few episodes of Tanked again (we decided it’s our hospital show haha).  We also took this picture and Reeve sent it to family/friends…IMG1854730068.jpg

Totally fake haha.  Everything was good and we were just waiting.  The doctor and nurses said I’d probably have her around 9pm – that seemed like forever away!  But anyway, the nurses said I could have the epidural anytime I wanted, but first labors usually last long and you wouldn’t want it to wear off.

Well, around 1pm (only 2 hours after the pitocin), I was in pain. I asked for the epidural the next time the nurses came in, and she said “let’s just wait til I check you in 30 minutes”. Well, 45 minutes later she showed up and I told her I needed the epidural.  It was just super painful cramps basically.  So she got the anesthesiologist in, and I got the epidural at 2pm.  Turns out I was dilated to a 5 (more than the nurse suspected).  Okay and all the stories of the epidural being terrible…I honestly didn’t know that I had gotten it yet haha.  The IV hurt more than the epidural haha.

Well, let me tell you – epidurals are AMAZING!  It started relieving the pain so fast, and pretty soon I couldn’t feel anything from my stomach down haha.  We basically just waited while my body did the work.  My family came to visit:


They were going to leave, but the nurse checked me right when they left the room, and I was fully dilated!  The nurses were pretty shocked it happened that fast.  So my family waited in the waiting room.  It was just me and Reeve in the delivery room when we had her.

So they said it was time to start pushing.  They would have me push 3 long times during each contraction.  I pushed for 2 contractions I think, then they said I had to stop because my doctor wasn’t going to get there in time (his office was across the parking lot).  So we just waited haha.  When Dr. Jones showed up, a contraction started, I pushed once, I started pushing the second time, and they told me to stop. I was so shocked when they held up our baby girl. It happened so fast, it didn’t feel real!  Reeve got to cut the umbilical cord (he said it was really strange), then they handed her to me.  It really just didn’t feel real.  I couldn’t believe she was born so fast!

June Hazel was born Friday June 24, 2016 at 4:56pm (just short of 6 hours from the time I got induced).  She was 21 inches and 8 lbs 3 oz.  She looked a lot like Reeve when she was first born.

We stayed in the hospital for 2 days.  We had the best nurse, Janie.  Lots of family visited, and Jackie came too.  We really felt so much love from everyone, and I felt super blessed that the labor and delivery went so smoothly.  I had a 2nd degree episiotomy (whatever that means haha) but the recovery was smooth also.  I never got up to taking the serious painkillers, I just took Midol occasionally.  I really was blessed!

41+ Weeks Pregnant

God is so much smarter than us.  He can see so much clearer than we can and knows what’s best for us in the long run.

My baby was due June 14th.  I was sure she was going to come early.  My husband had tons of family in town until about June 22 (the day his sister went into the MTC to go on an LDS mission). Of course she would meet the baby before.  What I really was concerned about at first was having the baby and being overwhelmed with everyone wanting to see her and the house being so crowded and noisy.

Well, my entire pregnancy went really smoothly.  I didn’t get very sick, I never got the pregnancy waddle, I didn’t gain too much weight other than my stomach, things were good.  I felt pretty good the whole time.  I did get some pretty crazy cankles right at the end though haha (see below). But, regardless of how smooth it had gone, I was so ready to NOT be pregnant anymore! Not so sure I was ready to have the baby, but I was so done with being pregnant that I wanted to go into labor.  I was just so huge.  I couldn’t handle it – it was hot, I couldn’t bend over, I just couldn’t move easily…

When I went to see my doctor a week or two before my due date, we talked about a plan in

case she didn’t come by her due date.  Intermountain Healthcare has a policy that with first time moms, they won’t induce until 41 weeks, and you can only be induced by your own doctor.  Well as luck would have it, my doctor was going out of town and wouldn’t be back until 10 days after my due date (2 days after Sarah and all Reeve’s family left).  I tried talking to several different people at the doctor’s office and the hospital, begging to be induced sooner, but they just said nope.

After that response, I decided to try all the wives tales that supposedly put you into labor.  And boy did I get a lot of input and suggestions I didn’t ask for. When people would see how pregnant I was (I was getting really huge!), they would start saying things like “you need to walk that baby out!” “go jump on the trampoline” “you know how to get that baby out? The same way you got it in!” etc.

After trying *almost* everything I had heard/read, I was getting pretty discouraged.  I had gone on walks, jumped on the trampoline, eaten eggplant parmesan, had sex, you name it (except for drinking castor oil), I tried it.

On Friday June 17, I felt miserable!!  I was sure I was going to have her.  I was throwing up, couldn’t eat anything, and feeling awful.  After talking with my doctor’s office, I was told to hang out at home and if I threw up more and it all continued, to come in.  It didn’t improve, so when Reeve got home from work, we went to the hospital.  They hooked my up to an IV with saline and monitored the baby.  Reeve and I hung out there for a couple hours.  We watched some random TV shows like Tanked (a show about fish aquariums haha).  After waiting awhile, I was sent home.  I was so mad.  I felt a lot better, but I was so tired of being pregnant and had felt so miserable!

After that I pretty much just had to tell myself I wasn’t having her until the 24th when I would be induced.  I thought a lot and realized that yes, I was really tired of being pregnant, but a lot of the reason I wanted to have the baby was pressure from others.  All of Reeve’s family (immediate and extended) wanted to see the baby before they went home to different parts of the country.  I wanted to please them. But you know what, I had no real control.  God’s timing is not always the same as our timing.  Looking back now, I see that it’s actually good that she didn’t come until after.  That first week as a mom was insane.  Exhausting with lots of tears from not being emotionally or physically 100%.  I feel bad that some family members didn’t get to meet her, but they’ve seen pictures, and that will just have to do for this one.

To read more about the actual delivery, read my next post!

Spiral Jetty

So I’ve lived in Utah awhile, and I’ve seen pictures and heard about this Spiral Jetty.  It’s at the Salt Lake, and it’s this big spiral that goes out into the water (when there is water that far up).  I honestly don’t know the history behind it – some artist did it. But I’ve thought it would be cool to see.  So on a recent Saturday, Reeve and I decided to have an adventure.  We had to go north that night for a wedding, so we decided we would check out Spiral Jetty during the day and stop by the wedding on the way back.

Turns out Spiral Jetty is really far away, and really in the middle of nowhere! It was a lot farther than we originally thought, but we decided to go for it anyway. It was a little over 2 hours away from us.  We left that morning and stopped in Ogden for lunch.  One of our favorite things is trying local restaurants we’ve never been to, so we just did a google search of restaurants and found this one that looked pretty good: The Lucky Slice. 0521161234

You can get pizza by the slice (or order a whole one), and it was great! We’ll definitely eat there again if we’re up in Ogden for anything.

Well then we got back to driving. We missed the exit (my bad) and added an extra 15 minutes driving through random tiny towns because of it haha.  It’s way out in the middle of nowhere.  It’s by the Golden Spike, which I’m not sure gets too much traffic either because of the location haha.

When we got to the Spiral Jetty, there were a lot more cars there than we expected.  It also was a bit smaller than I thought it’d be, and the water wasn’t up to it.  I don’t mean to sound negative, it was just not what we expected at all. Here it is though:0521161459a.jpg

We walked out to it then decided to walk out to the water.  It just looked so weird – you just see a big line of foam walking up to it. I grabbed a handful of the foam – big mistake! – and my hands were disgusting until we found a bathroom and sink to wash off in.  The foam just disintegrated into salt and dried my hands out and made them really gritty. But it was pretty cool, unlike anything I’ve ever seen.  Also, because there’s so much salt, the water line is basically just a huge thing of salt. I broke off a piece and dared Luke to lick it – he did, classic 12 year old boys. We ended up not staying too long though, because we both really had to use the bathroom (pregnancy problems haha), but I don’t think we missed out on anything there.

Overall, I’m glad we went! It was a fun adventure. I’m not sure we’ll ever be back, unless we for some odd reason are nearby!